Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Making Mozzarella

 Mozzarella is traditionally made with milk from the water buffalo. Personally, I'd rather milk a goat. The cuteness factor, small size and sweet personality make it the obvious choice for me although the American Water Buffalo Association may beg to differ.

So you can get with this,

Or you can get with that,
This is the recipe I make every week. When you work with farm fresh milk you'll notice that it changes throughout lactation. That is why I offer a wide variable with the amount of citric acid. You can find everything you need at The Dairy Connection

4 gallons whole raw goat milk (2 warm and 2 cold)
¼ tsp Thermophilic culture and ¼ tsp Mesophilic Culture OR ½ tsp MA 4001 Farmhouse culture

2-4 tsp Citric Acid
1 tsp liquid animal rennet
cold 20% saturated salt brine ~1 part salt to 5 parts water


1) Warm 2 gallons milk to 96 degrees, sprinkle culture on the milk, let culture rehydrate for 5 minutes, stir in, Allow milk culture for 45 minutes.


2) Dilute citric acid in ¼ c cool water, add to the 2 gallons of COLD milk
3) Combine the warm cultured milk with the cold acidified milk, warm to 92 degrees

4) Dilute rennet in ¼ cup of cool water, stir into milk, let set for 15 to 1 hr till firm curd forms.



5) Cut curd, let set for 5 minutes to rest.

6) Begin heating cut curd, over course of 1/2 hour, till it reaches 105 degrees, stirring gently. Do not heat too quickly. Turn off heat and let sit for an additional 15 minutes, stirring gently to prevent curds from matting.
7) Drain whey, let curds set for 15min to 3 hours in colander, kept at 102 degrees, flipping curd mat every half hour.

8) Cut curds into 1" strips

9) Put curds into stainless steel bowl, cover with water heated to 180 degrees

10) Using heat resistant gloves, form curd strips into 4 balls remove from water and begin stretching and pulling it until cheese is smooth and shiny

Wind into a ball

Dip it back into the hot water, shape into a ball

11) Immerse cheese into cold brine for 5-8 hours.



Enjoy!

Equipment I use when making Mozzarella. Note: I've switched to the Taylor Digital Thermometer because it's waterproof. Culture and rennet are from The Dairy Connection




9 comments:

katlupe said...

That looks so good! I have never tried making it myself. Lucky you making it every week!

Paula said...

I am over from blogfrog where Kat mentioned your blog! 4 months ago I moved from Europe to the US. Ever since I miss handmade organic mozzarella. Just looking at those pictures is mouthwatering. You surely have a new follower in me.

http://paulabowser.blogspot.com

Alison said...

I am over from HT, you have a cute blog site.

I read your recipe, but am not sure what happens to the 2 gallons of cold water you mix the 1/4 cup of water with citric acid with.

I am dying to try a recipe for mozzarella with a culture in it as I have only tried Rikki Carrols 30 minute mozz and it has varying results for me. I am hoping that the culture type will be better. Do you make riccota with the whey?

Thanks
Alison

Christy said...

Alison that should be 2 gallons of cold milk. Thanks for pointing that out, I fixed my post. If you normally make a 30 min. recipe you will love the flavor and texture of a cultured Mozz. I always make ricotta with the whey from Mozz!

Cathy Kennedy said...

I absolutely love cheese, but I'm not into making it. City living, you know. lol. Nah, I can't blame it on that. I just don't have it in me period. You know, I didn't know this about Mozzerella, its a product of the Water Buffalo, but I'm with you goats are much cuter. :D

Visit via the The RedRiter Blog Community upon Katlupe's suggestion!

Happy bloggin!

Pam's Pride said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I can't wait until my goats are producing enough milk for me to make cheese!

Christy said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the kind comments!

Alabama said...

I just tried your Mozzarella and it came out great.

One thing though--how do you store it?

I find it a little salty for me, so I will rinse it.

Usually you see fresh Mozzarella either in water or oil.

Unknown said...

This is a wonderfully helpful post. I have a question though. How do you keep your collander at 102 degrees?

Thanks!
Aimee
Cage Free Family