Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Handcrafted Goat Milk Soap Tutorial

Popular techniques in soap making are constantly evolving. When I first started making soap over 20 years ago the goat milk recipes I tried called for dissolving the lye in fresh milk. The result was an awful ammonia smell and brown curdled milk. There had to be a better way, and there was. By adding lye to frozen milk, soapers were able to keep the sugars in the milk from burning and produce a much nicer bar. But frozen milk also has its drawbacks. You have to work so quickly that there can be undissolved lye leftover. Also, there can be problems with uneven saponification as the lye begins to react with the milk fat resulting in speckled soap. Today my 10 year old daughter will demonstrate how to make Artisan Goat Milk Soap with simple, inexpensive ingredients you can find locally.

Easy Soap Recipe

17 ounces Lard
8 ounces Coconut Oil

Melt oils together. Allow to set overnight in a warm place. You don't want them to get too hard to stir.

3.5 ounces Lye
3.5 ounces Distilled Water

Wearing gloves, apron, long sleeves and eye protection pour distilled water into a heat proof non reactive container. Slowly pour lye into the water, stir to dissolve. Set in a safe place out of the reach of pets and children over night.

The next day prepare the soap mold and weigh,
6 ounces of goat milk
1.5 ounces of fragrance
Mica or colorant of choice

Assemble supplies

Pour oils into container


Add goat milk

Add fragrance

Mix well

Add colorant
Add lye/water

Stir until soap reaches 'trace'

Once soap has reached trace pour into mold and cover to insulate overnight

The soap should be ready to cut the next day. We used a soap stamp dusted with mica for a little added charm.

14 comments:

Mamma Bear said...

Great instructions and a lovely finished project!

While cleaning out my freezer I found 2 small containers of goat milk that had been forgotten. They are over a year old. Do you think it would be OK to thaw and use this milk to make soap? I will not have any fresh milk until march.

Paula & Skip said...

This sounds easy enough. But nothing beats your whipped goat milk body lotion.

Candy C. said...

Great post and I love your soap stamp!! :)

country life said...

I make goat milk soap, but have not tried it your way. Next week when I make my next batch I will try it!
Thanks Kim

Christy said...

Mama Brear: Your frozen milk will be just fine for making soap

Paula: This is a really easy way to make goat milk soap. TY for the kudos on my Whipped Creme :)

Candy: I'm glad you like this post. The stamps came from Brambleberry (I think)

Kim: Please post back when you try it! I bet you will just love it. Another added benefit of adding the milk to the oils is that the wonderful skin loving properties of the goat milk stay intact without direct, concentrated exposure to the lye.

hoosier girl said...

Someday that will be me-sigh. Thanks for the cool post!

Sarah Jean said...

Great info! I've made goats milk soap a bunch of times but never had a recipe call for the ingredients to sit overnight. Do you know what the benefits of that would be?

Also, I would recommend your sweet one wear a plastic face shield while working with lye...it splashes so easy and burns like the dickens!!! :)

Take care,
-=Sarah
www.beewenchfarm.com

Christy said...

The benefit of letting the ingredients sit over night is that they are both room temp. If you are pressed for time you could use a cool water bath and a thermometer to get the lye/water and oils to 70F but that seems a little fussy to me.

There really isn't any danger of soap splashing into my daughters face because the container is very deep for the amount of soap and we don't use a stick blender. As you can see in the last pic the soap doesn't even splash on the sides of the container :)

Good Patina said...

How much soaP does this recipe make?

Christy said...

This recipe makes eight 4.5 ounce bars :)

Unknown said...

I love this simple recipe. The soap is beautiful! I've never made soap before so was wondering if this is considered cold processed soap and if so, does it need to be aged before use? And one more question...how did your daughter get that pretty rustic edge when cutting the soap?

Unknown said...

Washing your skin using goats milk soap can benefit your skin's health.

Unknown said...

your recipe sound perfect. Been having some problems with my goats milk soap so can't wait to try yours. Thanks for the post.

Unknown said...

Thanks, for such a great post. I have tried and found it really helpful. For more details to visit Lemongrass Glycerin Soap online.